Casein, the hard to digest protein found in milk, has the potential to wreak havoc on your health. Here are the top four reasons you need to avoid it at all costs.
Casein makes up 80% of the protein found in milk, it’s what gives it the white color. Whey protein isolate, the protein MariGold uses (which our body digests and absorbs quickly), makes up the other 20%. Whey protein concentrate contains both whey isolate and casein. What makes casein so bad is how our body reacts to it.
1. Casein Causes an Addictive Response
A component in casein known as casomophins, act like opiates as they break down. As casein slowly digests, the casomorphins attach to opiate receptors in the brain and can actually cause you to become addicted to dairy products.
Next time you hear someone say they’re “addicted to cheese,” they’re speaking the truth! The response to casomorphins has been compared to heroin in terms of their ability to cause addiction.
2. It Puts Strain on the Digestive System
Because casein breaks down so slowly, it places a great deal of strain on the digestive system. While many people think their negative reaction to dairy products is due to lactose-intolerance, it’s very likely that it might actually be the casein. The digestion difficulties could be from your gut lacking the enzymes necessary to digest this type of protein.
Symptoms of this issue can gas, nausea, bloating, and stomach pain.
3. It Can Cause Respiratory Issues
Did you know that casein is used to make a strong type of glue for wood bonding? Because of its thick and coarse properties, woodworkers use it for its strength and long lasting effects. Unfortunately for us, it’s great at forming mucus. The human respiratory system can become clogged due to this protein. If you’re noticing wheezing, coughing, congestion, a runny nose, or itchy eyes, this could be from the casein.
4. It Can Induce the Same Reactions as a Gluten Intolerance
Casein is very similar in structure to gluten and often times can cause adverse cross reactions in people suffering from a gluten intolerance. Studies have shown that about 50% of gluten sensitive patients have a sensitivity to casein as well. If your symptoms have not improved after going gluten-free, it’s a good idea to try eliminating dairy as well. A diet like Paleo might be best for your digestive system.
Enjoy Casein-Free Snacks with MariGold!
Our MariGold products are all made casein-free so you can enjoy our snacks and foods and remain bloat-free (yay!).
MariGold Grass-Fed Whey Isolate Protein Powder is 100% pure, clean, premium quality, cold-processed and micro-filtered protein. This means it only contains the good stuff your body wants and needs and does not contain casein. Our protein powder is also lactose-free.
Our Protein Bars also contain the same premium quality protein, along with healthy fats like organic grass-fed ghee. Our ghee also does not contain casein and is lactose-free. So, you can enjoy a rich, buttery taste without worries.
Looking for a delicious morning casein-free protein coffee? Well, MariGold’s High Protein Coffee might just be the perfect choice! You can enjoy flavors like Iced Vanilla Latte, and Iced Café Mocha lactose and casein-free! We also have our Iced Purist flavor for those who just love a plain cup of coffee.
We have 3 flavors of High Protein Coffee featuring our Grass-Fed Whey Isolate Protein Powder, but we also have two DAIRY-FREE flavors (Mocha Collagen Latte & Vanilla Collagen Latte) using our Collagen Peptides. Our Collagen Protein Coffee is the perfect option for those who need a completely dairy-free coffee.