Have a healthy and hearty start to the weekend with this easier take on huevos rancheros from top chef Adam Gray.
Normally we’d entertain you with a witty introduction, but this time we’re going to give you four reasons why you need to make this dish.
- Eggs are a fantastic source of protein, which is in the white, and heart-healthy fats, which are in the yolk. They also contain a treasure trove of vitamins: 10% of your RDI of vitamin D is found in an egg yolk, along with vitamins A, B6, B12, E and K.
- Peppers are a fantastic source of vitamin C: weight for weight they contain more than oranges! Vitamin C is an antioxidant, and is also essential for the formation of collagen, a type of protein that keeps skin tight and looking young.
- Garlic is high in immune system-boosting compounds that destroy any nasty invaders, as well as anti-inflammatory agents that reduce the physical damage caused by stress, pollution, exercise and general day-to-day living.
- The dish is delicious.
One-Pan Mexican Eggs
Ingredients (Makes 4 Servings)
- 3.5 oz olive oil
- 3 red peppers, finely diced
- 1 red onion , peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved lengthwise
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh marjoram leaves
- 1½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 oz ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced red peppers and red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to brown.
- Add the tomato wedges, garlic, jalapeño pepper, basil, marjoram, chilli powder and smoked paprika to the saucepan.
- Reduce to a low heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft and liquid is thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and discard the jalapeño.
- Transfer the veg mixture from the saucepan to a shallow baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, make four evenly spaced divots in mixture.
- Spoon a dollop of ricotta cheese into each divot and then crack one egg into each.
- Bake in the oven until the egg whites are almost set but yolks are still runny.
- Serve the spiced baked eggs with granary toast. The yolks will continue to cook as the dish sits, so serve right away if you prefer your eggs soft.
Adam Gray is a Michelin-starred chef and a champion of ethically and sustainably sourced food. He has been the head chef at award-winning restaurants including Rhodes Twenty Four, Skylon and Bourne and Hollingsworth in London.
Featured image provided by Coach
High Protein Coffee With Your Breakfast!
Our Protein Coffees are a delicious and healthy way to start your day. We combine our best selling premium quality MariGold Truly Grass-Fed Whey Isolate Protein Powder with organic, fair trade coffee.
PROTEIN COFFEE FLAVORS:
We also have a DAIRY FREE flavor, Mocha Collagen Latte.
It has the same great chocolatey mocha flavor as our Iced Café Mocha with the added bone strengthening and hair & skin rejuvenating benefits of our MariGold Collagen Peptides!
Our coffees are Made in USA, non-GMO, gluten free, soy free, keto-friendly, and ethically sourced.
Energize your day the right way!